MUSEUM ONLINE TOURS
Museum tour (on-line live) free of charge
The pandemic situation excluded organisation of normal, face to face, meeting, including field trips. We would like to introduce two, independent on-line live museum tours as a makeshift of normal meeting during the congress. The tours will be organised by Geological Department of the Nature Education Centre of the Jagiellonian University and the Earth Sciences Museum at University of Silesia in Katowice.
Links for the meetings will be given later.
Geological Department of the Nature Education Centre of the Jagiellonian University
(CENTRUM EDUKACJI PRZYRODNICZEJ (CEP) UNIWERSTETU JAGIELOŃSKIEGO)
The geological and mineralogical collections located in the Geological Department of the Nature Education Centre of the Jagiellonian University consists of about 250 collections containing nearly 16,000 mineralogical specimens, 20,000 fossil specimens, and several hundred petrographic specimens.
The oldest preserved exhibit is a collection of minerals, fossils and rocks from Europe, purchased in 1810 from the former head of the Chair of Natural History, mineralogist and traveller Baltazar Hacquet. Currently, it constitutes the largest historical collection of minerals in Poland, comprising about 2,000 specimens.
During the virtual tour, we will focus mainly on a systematic collection of minerals containing many historical and unique specimens from type locaties, historical collections of minerals and rocks (e.g. Hacquet, 1810, Chrobak, 1932, and Harańczyk, 1950-90) and the meteorite collection (with some rarely seen meteorites from 1878 the Michałowski’s collection)
Tour guided by Bartłomiej Kajdas
Faculty of Earth Sciences Museum at University of Silesia in Katowice
(MUZEUM NAUK O ZIEMI UNIWERSYTETU ŚLASKIEGO W KATOWICACH)
Faculty of Earth Science Museum at University of Silesia in Katowice is a geological museum. It has been born with the passion of the faculty employees, mostly represented by geologists. They arranged the very first exhibitions. Their gifts formed base for the present collections. Formally, the museum was established on 28th October 1994. Now, the museum’s collections are represented by ca. 4000 specimens, where almost 3500 are exhibited to visitors. The main specimens are: minerals, rocks, fossils, meteorites, and others.
The present shape of the museum is represented by fourteen permanent exhibitions, which are located on the ground floor. The exhibitions are the base for educational proposes. The museum conducts an extensive educational program for students at all levels. The scientific activities of the museum is mainly visible by periodically organized paleontological excavations for students in different areas of Poland. Part of the specimens from various collections were used to create numerous publications. The last publication achievements include the description of the traces of large teeth on the shin bone of dicynodont from Zawiercie. Many new discoveries, described in publications, are given by the authors into the museum collections. This also happened with the first Polish tektites, or extremely aesthetic crystals of kyanite from Baraniec (Western Tatras) or a large phyllocarid crustacean from Holy Cross Mts., which is the new holotype specimen (Montecaris marynowski sp. nov).
Tour guided by Krzysztof Szopa